Saturday, May 10, 2008

Thing 20: YouTube

I keep tripping over my expectation that the Internet has all the information known to humans. It simply does not. I am currently reading Bella Abzug: How One Tough Broad... It's a hybrid biography/oral history of Bella Abzug and her role in the feminist movement in the early 1970's. I have dim memories of Bella - she wore hats all the time and she spoke with a pronounced New York accent. I thought it would be cool to see Bella in action in her prime. So I trotted over to YouTube and found: next to nothing. There's a snippet of her in a documentary about breast cancer, but it's very brief and she looked very old and tired. It was not exactly the inspiring clip I was looking for. I did find the following clip of Rosie O'Donnell giving the Bella book to a girl at some conference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDtjgLg-9JM

At least SHE remembers Bella.

I trotted over to digital overlords Google Video and found this clip:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1858775945321622894&q=%22Bella+Abzug%22&ei=ae4lSL65BpLw-gHntujmCQ

But could not get it to load.

So this is what YouTube, and the Internet, is not so good at - anything that happened prior to 1990. Are events that occurred prior to the Internet age going to be lost to the masses, like the contents of the Alexandria Library? Sometimes I wonder if this might be true.

PS- I tried to embed the video but cannot figure out how to paste the entire piece of code into my post. If anyone could help me with that, I would sure appreciate it.

No comments: