Thursday, May 15, 2008

Thing #23: That's a Wrap!

My overall impression is that the Web 2.0 Challenge was a really good motivator for me to try some things I had previously been hesitant to approach. I also enjoyed the sheer variety of blogs created by OCL staff and I hope people keep on bloggin'.

The favorite thing I learned about is probable wikis. They had seemed so intimidating to me before. Now I really want to use one for something in the near future. (More on that below!)

What I liked least was Technorati, because I am not immersed in blogging culture and not so invested in blogging either. It's not a meaningful tool for me.

What areas of 2.o should the library get more involved in? I propose that OceanNet become a wiki! If more staff could update the information it would be kept more up to date. Just imagine, each branch having their own page to share photos of recent programs, instead of having to see the same old links from Ripple Effect every day because Technology staff are stretched to the limit.

I would love it if we could offer feeds of new acquisitions in different subjects to library customers. Wouldn't it be cool to get an email once a month with the newly acquired Italian cookbooks listed for me?

I also expect that more and more webapps will be used by systemwide committees as well.

I have not shared much with my family. They seem to still be comfortable with email. It's the most exciting thing for them. We also use a site that has been around for a long time, called MyFamily, which actually started doing what MySpace does a long time ago!

All in all, this was a cool exercise. I have one more suggestion. I have not been able to figure out who's who among staff bloggers. How about a lunchtime meet and greet of willing bloggers at staff Development Day? We could wear nametags with the names of our blogs on them!

Thank you to the hardworking committee who put this challenge together. I know it was a lot of work, and a lot of e-mail. you did a stellar job!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your comment on my blog about finishing the Challenge. I learned a lot. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner on this.