Thursday, April 17, 2008

Thing #13 Del.icio.us is Add.dict.ive

Jill got me into delicious about 5 months ago. My links are at:

http://del.icio.us/chrodas

At first I did not see the practical use for it, but now I find it to be addictive. I am one of those people who loves to save newspaper and magazine clippings of interesting articles on all kinds of topics. Now I can do this virtually, conveniently, and in an orderly fashion with del.icio.us. So far, I am using it for quick and easy access to the ALA Great Stories Club page, which is hard to find on their web site. I am also using it for lots of library related topics. And since I am currently crazy about soup, I have bookmarked all kinds of soup recipe sites. I love how del.icio.us is portable and can be accessed anywhere I go. I am just getting into the social aspect. I used to browse a site called Blogdex, which was run by somebody at MIT. It employed some sort of algorithm to determine the most popular blog posts on the Internet. Now I can see what the current zeitgeist is by checking out the most popular sites - which means the most frequently tagged sites - on del.icio.us. It's fascinating. I also stumbled on a feminist's bookmarks, and have learned a lot about current women's issues from trolling her faves. It's also a great way to keep up with co-workers and colleagues who I do not see every day. And it's so exciting when someone sends me a link. It means they were thinking of me and knew what interested me. So so cool!

My one concern is for the potential ephemerousness (is that even a word?ephemeralness?) of the Internet. I love saving and tagging interesting news articles, but I do not think they will last too long. They get pulled by Yahoo and other news services in a relatively short amount of time. I guess time will tell if tagging and social bookmarking affect the actions of these news wires.

No comments: